LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
• Tadhg Meany started the year off right with a 10K on New Year’s Day in Carmel, California. He ran 39:07 for 10th place and 4th in his age group.
• Jay Johannesen was also overseas at the start of the year, running the Chiang Mai Half Marathon in Thailand, along with Arnaud DeHerrypon. Jay was defending his title, but this year was only 3rd (1st in age group) in 1:28:11. Arnaud was 2nd in the age group!
• The popular Tanigawa Mari Half Marathon was held on the 13th, and the weatherman cooperated with a perfect day. The Namban contingent was led by Dan Newman in a PB of 1:17:45, followed by Derek Leong also in a PB of 1:28, Stan Chow in 1:31:20, Chika Kanai in 1:35 and Frank Marsillo in 1:39.
• Also on the 13th, Raymond Wong ran the Matsudo Nanakusa 10K in 39:02 for 65th out of 1432 men.
• An ocean away in Austin, Texas on the 13th, Brent Millican ran a PB of 1:25:59 in the 3M Half Marathon on a cold and windy day (in Texas!).
• Anna Novick, Padraig MacColgain and Frank Marsillo were out in Chiba on the 20th for the Chiba Marine Half. Anna finished as 14th woman in 1:28:17, Padraig set _another_ PB in 1:30:21 and Frank also set a PB in 1:35.
• The Shibuya Ekiden, an always popular Namban event, took place on the 20th with six Namban teams of four. The Masters Men’s team came in 1st, and the women’s A team came 5th.
• Frank Marsillo ran the Shinjuku Half on the 27th (if there’s a half marathon anywhere in the Tokyo area, Frank will be in it). He came home in another PB of 1:34:00.
• Raymond Wong ran the hilly Teteyama Wakashio Marathon on the 27th, finishing in a good 3:12:07, good for 80th out of 1,449 age group 40-year-olds.
Namban workouts on Wednesday nights at Oda track from 7:25pm.
• 6 - 1000 x 6
• 13 - 1000 x 3, 800 x 2, 600, 400
• 20 - 600 800 1000 1200 1000 800 600
• 24 - Tokyo Marathon
• 27 - 5000m time trial
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
Snowy, windy, cold.
It must be the month for the