LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
- Back in Istanbul over the holidays, Engin Yenidunya ran in the first Adim Adim Run of the year on January 3rd. At a freezing -2 degrees, he ran 28:48 for a hilly 6K in the forest, placing 17th overall out of 145 runners.
- Raymond Wong set a 10K PB of 38:33 at the Matsudo Road Race on the 10th.
- On the 11th, Yukiko Kanazawa, Madeleine Chadwick, Heidi Yung, Jillian Healey, Miyuki Nishida and Tomoko Sawada traveled down to Fuji Speedway in Shikoku for a 5-hour relay race. And they did well, finishing 34th out of 78 teams. Each runner ran a hilly 4.5km course twice (3x for Madeleine).
- Derek Leong (1:25:12), Padraig MacColgain (1:32), Harrisson Uk, Yukiko Shimada (1:39:53!), Pat Higase (1:45:57) Sachiko Orikasa and Yoko Kuwada represented Namban Rengo at the windy Chiba Marine Half Marathon on the 18th.
- Also on the 18th was the popular Shibuya Ekiden, where the Men’s Masters A team placed 1st (out of 48), the Women’s A team 2nd and the Men’s Open A team 8th (out of 148), The other three Open teams got 8th, 23rd, and 30th, Master’s B was 9th and Women’s B came in 13th.
- Not a race, but worth mentioning is Harrisson Uk’s 34:40 10K PB, run alone at a cold Wednesday evening track session on the 21st.
- On January 24th, Engin Yenidunya ran in the Arakawa Lucky 7 Half Marathon, starting and ending at Todabashi Stadium. He ran a PB of 1:45:20, placing 51st overall out of 300
- Lots of races on the 25th:
The Osaka Half Marathon was Sylvain Dufros’ first race with more than 100 people—there were 6,000!—and he ran a satisfying 1:38:59.
- Phil Ryan ran the Wakashio Marathon in Chiba.
- Yasuo Hayakawa ran the Shinjuku City Half Marathon.
- Mika Tokairin, Satohi Numasawa and Yosuke Kimura ran the Katsuta Marathon. Mika timed 3:32:44, thereby qualifying for the Comrades 80K in South Africa in May.
- And Raymond Wong ran 3:10:56 in the Hong Kong Marathon.
Wednesday night workouts are at Oda Field track from 7:30pm.
- 4 - 1000 x 6
- 11 - 1200 x 2, 1000 x 2, 800, 400
- 18 - 1600 1200 1000 800 600 400
- 25 - 5000m time trial
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
Run too slow, you’re cold
Run too fast, your hamstring cramps
Damn winter running!