LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
- Many big races in March, starting with the Shizuoka Marathon on the 6th. Nambanners who traveled down for the race were Eric Lebrasseur 3:03:59, Alan Cannon 3:19:38, Bob Johnston 3:28:24 (PB!), and Gareth Evans 3:40:03.
- On the same day was the 5,000-women strong (or 5,000 strong women) Omotesando Women’s 10K, which Marie Gras ran in a leisurely (for her) 41:38.
- Also on the 6th were the Chiba Kenmin Half — Kota Torii 1:28:02, Yuichi Kanamori 1:29:01 and Mika Kume 1:49:46 - and the Tachikawa Half — Glenn Rubin 1:58:58.
- Namban Rengo was well represented at the Koga Hanamomo Marathon and 10K on the 13th by Derek Leong 2:57:59, Yosuke Kimura 3:16:00, Kota Torii 3:16:51, Chika Kanai 3:17:48, Padraig MacColgain 3:28:32, Yoshiro Morioka 3:51:12, Yukiko Kanazawa 3:51:14, Rui Natsuka 4:07:56, Bob Poulson 41:22, Taeko Hara, Keiko Ando, and Jay Johannesen and Hoel Goisbault who both unfortunately missed the last turn and ran an extra several km.
- The 13th saw two major marathons: the Yokohama Marathon – Connie Bouverot 3:11 13th woman!, Jesse Austin 3:15:52, Keren Miers 3:17:26, David Rubenstein 3:37:31, Yasuo Hayakawa 3:51:10, Nick Coyle 3:55:10, Sumie Kawakami 3:56:37; and the Nagoya Women’s Marathon – the biggest women’s marathon in the world — Satohi Numasawa 3:19:17, Aki Hoshino and Celine Bouny.
- Other Nambanners racing on the 13th were Yukari Murahara, 3:35:21 in the Tottori Marathon, Lisa Batey 1:56:47 in the Kawasaki Half Marathon, and in the Oyama Tozan 9km (1,650m height, 1,610 stairs), Tim Williams 57:04, Bob Johnston 1:03, Naoko Hanakawa 1:03:40 and Tom Boatman 1:04. Otsukaresama deshita!
- And over in Olde England, Yuka Morrell raced to a 1:44:04 in the Bath Half Marathon.
- Yet another marathon on the 20th — the Itabashi Marathon, where Yuichi Kanamori ran 3:20:42 and Rie Onodera 3:34. Stan Chow was also believe to have completed a race.
- For a report on the Tamako Ekiden, see the story to the right.
- Out east of Tokyo on Oshima island on the 27th, Harrisson Uk ran the Oshima Ultra 58K (with 2,200m of cumulative elevation) in an outstanding 4:24, finishing 3rd!
- Also on that day was the Nerima Half, which saw Derek Leong set a PB of 1:21:49, good for 31st out of 956 AG. Also running were Yuichi Kanamori 1:30:05, Mami Hashimoto 1:39:41, Yoshiro Morioka and Kei Takahashi 1:42:37.
Wednesday nights in Yoyogi Park. Meet at the kiosk 100m inside park entrance near Harajuku station at 7:15pm.
- 6- 1000 x 6
- 13 - 2000, 1000 x 3, 500 x 2
- 20 - 2000, 1000 x 3, 500 x 2
- 27 - 5,000m time trial
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
Broad branches bursting
With cherry blossom flowers.
Soul-soothing Spring sight.