LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
• The TELL Charity Runathon was held on May 4th —see story to the right.
• May 12th saw 16 Nambanners complete the Fuji Sosono 10K and Half Marathon. Although a fun trip, with dips in an onsen and craft beer before and after the race, the course is brutal, starting with a 6k uphill section. And it was hot. Raymond Wong placed 25th in the 40s age group with a 1:31:24. Padraig MacColgain bettered his time of last year by 10 minutes with a 1:37:05, and David Motozo Rubenstein came through with a 1:39:49. Chika Kanai ran 1:40:06, taking 4th in her age category. Anthony Kraft ran 1:46, but had a great time, as did everyone else (I hope). Congratulations to Dave Cahill and Ikuko Sato on completing their debut half marathons.
• Also on the 12th, Nick Coyle was in Tochigi for the Satsuki Half Marathon, where he ran 1:47:09 on a hot day.
• Across the world in England, Mike Trees took a shot at the British 50s age group mile record at the Westminster Mile on the 26th, and was successful! He now owns the record with a time of 4:38. Next up: the world record of 4:27.
• The day after the usual Namban Rengo 5,000m time trial on the last Wednesday of the month there was another 5,000m time trial, with a large number of clubs participating. We had 15 members racing, led by the two Bretts: Brett Larner in 17:20 and Brett Whiteoak in 17:24.
• And one addition to last month’s news: Nick Coyle ran the Nagano Marathon in a PB of 3:47.
Namban workouts on Wednesday nights at Oda track from 7:25pm.
• 5 - 1000 x 6
• 12 - 1200 1200 1200 1000 1000 400
• 19 - 400 x 12 (A), 400 x 12 or 10 (B), 400 x 10 (C)
• 26 - 5000m time trial
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
After last cold wind
Before rainy season starts
We all enjoy June!