LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
• A new Namban Rengo member came into the world as David and Meg Rubenstein celebrated the birth of their son Ty on July 6th. Congratulations!
• Yoshitaka Ishikawa finished the tough 44km Kita-Tanzawa trail race in 5:41:43:27, 16 minutes faster than last year. He was 46th in his age group out of 604 and 69th overall out of 1,286. Impressive!
• Namban alumnus Adam Osbourne was the third runner on the UK team in the European Mountain Running Championships on July 10th, coming in 47th and helping the UK team to a 5th place finish (out of 17 teams). Also, Gerard Robb finished 4th in the Australian Mountain Running Championships, so will be on the Aussie team for the world championships in Albania in September, as well as the Commonwealth Championships in Wales.
• The 17th was the popular Obuse Mini Marathon (Half) in Nagano pref. Taking part from Namban were Terry (1:33), Bernard (1:38), Anthony (1:42), Gary, Geraldine, Taeko and Chika 1:43, 6th in women’s 30 age group).
• On the 17th, Ultramarathoner Paul Mundt completed the Ontake 100km trail race in 14:35:24. This is one of the biggest ultras in Japan with 600 participants. He was 19th in his age group and 136th overall. Awesome!
• July is the month for mountain races, finishing up with the Mt. Fuji race on the 23rd. Finishers of the race to the summit (21km, 3000m ascent) were Yoshitaka (2 weeks after Kita-Tanzawa!) in 3:23:14 (84th out of 2,576), Michael (3:43), Harrisson (4:18:13), Stan (4:18:43) and Wojtek (4:24). Cutoff time was 4:30. Rie was ever-so close missing the cut-off by just 6 minutes (4:36). Racing up to the 5th stage (15km) were Laci and Yukiko.
All Namban workouts at Oda Field from 7:25pm.
• 3 Namban workout. 1000 x 6
•10 Namban workout. 400, 1000, 1200, 1200, 1000, 800, 400
• 17 Namban workout. 400, 800, 1000, 1200, 1000, 800, 400
• 24 Namban workout. 1200, 1200, 1000, 1000, 800, 800
• 31 Namban workout. 5,000m time trial.
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
Training in the heat
Why would anyone do this?
Fast races in fall