LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
- Bernard Plagge was in Germany on the 6th and ran Brockenlauf 2014, 26km up and down Mt. Brocken, winning his age group in 2:12:40.
- On the same day, Eric Lebrasseur was in France, where he ran the Ultratrail de Vercors, 88km in 16:07, not one of his best efforts, but he enjoyed the mountain scenery.
- Another ultra runner, Chih Liew, challenged the Shinetsu 5 Mountains Trail 110km (just the name of the race is scary), covering about 5,000m up and down in 17:43, good for 140 out of 658 tough runners.
- Ultra trails are certainly getting popular! On the 21st,Lawrence Schneck, Stan Chow, Harrisson Uk and Gildas Tuffin were up in Gumma for the Sky View Ultra Trail, which ascends 4,020m into…the sky. Lawrence opted for the 66km version and did great in his first trail race, finishing 20th out of 429 (!) in 9:07. Stan also ran the 66k, in 11:42 for 115th. Harrisson and Gildas were in the 30k section, which Harrisson, despite getting lost for a bit, finished in 3:08, good for 12th overall.
- And now for a new event: an aquathon. To be exact, the Suginami Aquathlon, a 150m swim and 2.6km run. Three Nambanners took part: Taeko Okamoto, 3:47/13:41 (17:28) Age group 2nd, Yasurou Hayakawa, 3:33/12:17 (15:50) and Engin Yenidunya, 3:15/13:15 (16:30).
- Back to normal running, on the 28th, Bernard Plagge and Alessandra Ciampi traveled up to Niigata for the Echigo Yuzawa Half and 10K. Bernard ran the Half in 1:36 and Alessandra finished her first race in Japan in 56:26, 11th in her age group – congratulations!
- And in breaking news, Nambanners did very well in the big Murakami Triathlon, with Mika Tokairin placing 2nd in her age group and Brett Whiteoak, David Rubenstein placing 3rd in their age group.
Wednesday night workouts are at Oda Field track from 7:30pm.
- 1 - 1000 x 6
- 8 - 1200, 1000 x 2, 800 x 3, 400
- 15 - 600 800 1000 1200 1000 800 600
- 22 - 1000 x 4, 800 x 2, 400
- 29 - 5000m time trial
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
Leaves swirl and rustle
About our running feet as
Summer says goodbye.